Sweet potato brownies! Today’s recipe is a different approach to brownies. For those of you who are familiar with the idea of vegan, sweet potato brownies is not something new! However, for some (of us) it certainly sounds weird the first time.
It took me two tests to make it and I can say that this dessert does NOT taste like the original brownies. You may say it’s better! It is quite smooth and juicy, super chocolaty and leaves a sense of “healthiness” on your palate.
Even if you’re not vegan (or have no plans to become one), this recipe is definitely worthy so you can check what you can make using the healthiest ingredients!
IngredientsFor the Brownies
- 500 g of sweet potatoes (about 2 medium)
- 100 g dairy free dark chocolate
- 150 g coconut sugar (or regular sugar if you are having a gard time to find coconut sugar)
- 6 tablespoons of pure maple syrup
- 100g of ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
- a pinch of salt
- 100g of ground oats
- 6 tablespoons of raw cacao powder
- 200 ml coconut cream
- 200 g dairy free dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180C (fan), then peel the sweet potatoes.
- Cut them into chunks and boil them for about 30 minutes, until they become really soft.
- Once they are perfectly soft and beginning to fall apart remove them and add them to a food processor.
- Melt chocolate in double boiler and beat with sweet potatoes.
- Put the remaining ingredients into a bowl, before mixing in the sweet potato chocolate combination.
- Stir well.
- Place into a lined baking dish and cook for about 30 to 35 minutes, until you can pierce the brownie with a fork and bring it out dry.
- Remove the tray and allow it to cool for about 20 minutes – this is really important as it needs this time to stick together!
- While the brownies are cooking make the icing by simply melting both ingredients together and stirring well, then place in the freezer for 15 minutes and then the fridge for 15 to firm up a bit.
- Remove the brownies from the tray and leave to cool completely before icing otherwise your icing will melt
- Spread the icing on top and cut into squares.